Sunday, October 4, 2009

Weight

Its the word that makes everyone cringe. And no matter how big or how little you are, society has taught us to hate the word weight.

Examples:
A bush pilot must know the exact weight of every person on board his plane and every piece of cargo on board. Why you ask, so he knows how much fuel to carry.

A horse can support safely 275 pds. I wonder what "Big Bad John" rode?

Anyway, weight is just a weird word, defined by Webster as " a body's mass or the quantity of matter contained by it." Its an interesting definition, and relates specifically to Physics.

I hated Physics. In High School, Mr. Kinard was our schools Physic teacher. Background- Turned down numerous college positions and, is one of the graders for the AP Physics exam.

Needless to say, I was screwed from the beginning. I was in class every morning 45 minutes before school started getting help with my homework. I say all that to say that what I learned in that class has been more applicable in my life than I ever imagined. It was the one subject that when I went to college, and took it again, coasted through it, because of his teaching.

So, Weight. Just say the word. The more you say it, the less scary it becomes, at least for me.

The definition uses several words that must be noted. Mass and matter.

Mass reminds me of Play Dough. It just sits there staring at you, dead, cold and lumpy. It contributes nothing, it gives off some weird satisfaction of having a dough like substance in your hands. It doesn't return anything, no matter how much it weighs.

Then I look t the word matter. Matter doesn't bring to mind a dough like substance, or anything to be honest. What matter brings to mind is...worth. When something "matters", it has value, a purpose, weight. If you matter to someone, they value what you are to them, your love, friendship, whatever, has weight. It has matter. It takes an effort to make it alive and give it worth.

I am a firm believer that the idea of free love is a cheap way to love one another. I am convenienced that loving someone is a choice, not a feeling, or feelings or a jar of emotions. I am positive that LOVE is one true LOVE when it has weight to it; it has matter, and it matters, and the other person matters.

Maybe its just a play on words, but look at it this way.

A person hands you a bag, and says that it contains 5 million dollars. They also tell you that you have to take it no questions asked, which of course you do. They tell you the bag was just for you, then they walk away.

You open it.

And find that it contained compressed oxygen that gave the bag weight.

It was empty.

This is the worlds view on love. It has all the characteristics of love, but unpack it, an its nothing.
Same scenario, except when you open it, it has rocks. Now it contains mass, in the rocks, but unless there's a dang big diamond somewhere in there, then its worthless, and in essence, the bag is empty.

This is what OUR world has to offer us.

Christ's death, although probably the most painful one ever experienced by a human, was the same as everyone. His heart slowed, then stopped. Blood flow to the brain stopped, and eventually, his entire physical self experienced death.

But his mattered. It was buried like every other dead human. But he was not just a mass, he mattered.

It had weight, it wasn't empty.

When you open it up, its extraordinary and uncomprehending.

The only way I can describe God's love is through nature.

One Night, I was deer hunting in a favorite spot of mine in my hometown. I climbed a thick pine at the junction of three streams. In front of me was a little knoll the had a fence running through the middle up it, obviously for cows. If you weren't careful, you'd walk into it.

I saw a young doe come off the hill towards me. As she got closer, she came to the fence. It now stood between her and the white oak acorns on the ground below me. She starred at the fence for what seemed like hours.

Then, with one fluid motion, here muscles flexed, and her body leaped to the other side. I'd seen deer jump hundreds of times, but it something about this that shook me. It was as if God had clapped. I knew in that very moment that if God created her to do that, He HAS to love me.

And his love is full.

No comments: